S
B
A
R
Talk with Russell
March 21st, 2009 by clipadmin

Welcome!

This is the place to share your comments, post a note on your visit, or to just say “Hi!” to Russell.

And now its easier.  Just click scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comments!

25 Responses
Joe writes:
March 29th, 2009 at 6:47 am

Wow,

The food at this place is unbelievable!!! I felt like I was home. Where else in Saratoga County can you get a knish with a side of mustard. The product is fresh and creative. The eggplant panini should be in the sandwich hall of fame and the crew that works there are all very friendly and helpful.

Desserts galore as well. The cookies and Italian pastries are excellent. They also make these great breads right there called Ballston Baked Breads. The Sour Cream Coffee Cake and the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Breads were amazing!!!

Can’t say enough about the place. It was a real find.

Pete writes:
April 1st, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Who doesn’t want to go where everybody knows your name? At Russell’s Deli, that is exactly how it is. Despite opening a new business in Ballston Spa, one of the trademarks of Russell’s Deli is that he knows his customers. By my third visit, he knew my name by memory and soon after, I was greeted with a “Hey, Pete! The usual today?” I’ve always wanted to be a regular at place where I didn’t have to give my order every time I walked in the door. And that is one of the myriad of reasons I keep going back. Russ and I chit chat about whatever while my egg sandwich cooks on the grill (and he knows without me saying it that I don’t get meat on it on Lenten Fridays) and I sip some of the best coffee I can order in the area. He remembers that my wife is rehabbing from knee surgery and that I play rugby for the Saratoga Stampede.

When it comes to coffee, you are in for a treat. On my honeymoon, I spent the most money on Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee that I could bring home. I’ll take the Dark Velvet brew from Russell’s any day over it. While he has a plethora of flavors and strengths (including a selection he recently brought back from Puerto Rico), for you caffeine hounds that need a good kick in the morning, this is the stuff. I truly think it could restart someone’s heart, though my suggestion to rename it “Russell’s A.E.D. Blend” has yet to take hold.

The variety of food is also excellent. Not being from anywhere remotely close to NYC, the new exposure to NYC pastries is awesome and always a good pick-up if you are constantly in hot water with the wife. Late getting home? Let a Lobster Tail from Russell’s serve as the perfect “I’m Sorry.” The knishes are great and the mustard is perfect for them. His homemade salads (particularly the mozzarella and tomato – in my opinion) are crisp and tasty, and his sandwich selection is top notch. I have yet to find anything that isn’t delicious. The rest of the staff is friendly and helpful and I enjoy looking at his collection of autographed pictures of Mets (and to a much lesser degree, Yankees) players that adorn the walls.

Set across from JJ’s Ice Cream, you will find it to be the perfect stop for breakfast and lunch. But I warn you, as Russell will, if you do take food to go, good luck getting to where you are going with it still intact. You owe it to your palate to give his place a try. In a few visits, you too will be greeted as you come in the door the only way Russell does business: on a first name basis because he sells food to people, not to their wallets.

lee writes:
April 1st, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Great place

elizabeth writes:
April 3rd, 2009 at 6:37 pm

best salami i’ve had since perugia, italia!
grazie from a former chicagoan and north shore gal – see you all again!

Pamela writes:
April 5th, 2009 at 8:58 pm

While I don’t hear ‘NORM’ when I walk into Russell’s, I do hear “Pam!” quickly followed by what Russell has picked out for me to try that day for lunch!

With all of the thinking done throughout the day, I welcome not having to make the decision about what to have for lunch and although it’s not always on the menu, it is always delicious and full of flavor…as is everything he serves.

The buffalo chicken salad is a must for someone looking for that little ‘extra’ in their wrap. There’s a hint of zing and a lot of taste…I’ve even had it on a panini with provolone and it’s yummy!

The desserts are my downfall, though. Muffins and cookies and fresh-filled cannolis – OH MY! The new breads are great for those with a sweet tooth. And now he has Italian Ice, too! Hand-scooped right into authentic, folded, water cups. And believe the website and don’t even *think* about asking for a spoon!

At Russell’s, I am able to get away for a little bit, meet with friends, try something new and delicious, and leave with a lifted spirit. In my book, that makes Russell’s a happy spot for me during the workday.

Thanks Russell, Judy, Nikki and Ed for brightening my day and providing an escape from the outside world!

Bob Bohmaker writes:
April 25th, 2009 at 10:22 am

Russell,

You and your people are the best!!! Great food, fun conversations, and the kind of place that is really needed around here.

The deli sandwiches were outstanding and your variety of specials was a nice surprise. Please make sure you keep that Black and White cookie inventory well stocked.

We plan on making your deli a regular stop so good luck and see you soon.

Bob and Gretchen Bohmaker
Queensbury, NY

Guy Belcher writes:
April 25th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Hey listen if you ever get it into your heaad your going to go to some fast food place and get a burger or sandwhich, let me leave you with this. Russels deli in Ballston Spa is home to some of the finest if not the finest food i have had in awhile.The meat selection is of the highest quality,the bread is the freshest tasting bread,the whole entire experience will leave you in amazment. Not only will you leave in amazment but it will leave your tastebuds wanting you to go back as many times as humanly possible. I have yet to go into Russeles and order the same thing twice.I keep ordering something new everytime i go into Russels.Yes its that good.Just when you think it cant get any better russel just keeps his talents going with his daily specials, friendly demeanor and overall passion for what he is doing.Bottom line is if you are hungry,planning a party or event just give russel a call or just stop by and the entire deli staff will hook you up.After your first visit it will soon be discovered you just cant stop going back for more.

Guy B
avid russels customer

Karen D. writes:
April 27th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

The filet mingon sandwich revived me today! I NEVER have to worry about choices at your place because it’s ALL great.
Thanks for coming to Ballston and reminding us what we’ve been missing.
P&L
KLD

Tom Bushnell writes:
April 27th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Heck, my son even says the cheeseburgers are the best he has ever had (even better than McDonalds)! While most people wouldn’t compare Russell’s to Micky D’s I will say the food is fantastic! Not only is the food delicious the friendly staff also are a plus, Russell’s Deli is a welcome addition to Ballston Spa!

Cathy A. writes:
April 28th, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Russell’s is the best.. Russell and his crew make us feel right at home. This is the best place to hang out with friends and we always include the crew in our fun. They have the best sense of humor.. We love you guys..

Tim writes:
May 1st, 2009 at 7:33 am

I have been stopping here at least two to three times a week for the breakfast sandwich (The Russell), it is always fresh and hot when i get to work and is the best tasteing breakfast sandwich i have ever had. I have had the Irish Soda bread and the Carrott loaf and both of them are so flavorfull. I do hope this place ends up staying open because it is great to have a place like this in the village of Ballston again. Well then lets see going to order lunch today for the first time for a group of us ,I will let you all know how great this is and will let you know what i get.

Sharon B. writes:
May 5th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I am in Heaven! I have Loved Russell’s Deli since it opened, but now I LOVE Russell’s Deli!! The only place around to get the real deal, old school Italian Ice and in a paper cup!!! Since I moved her from New Jersey 10 years ago I have searched and longed for a good deli and now there is one 5 minutes from my house and to top it off they now have Italian Ice!!! I could not be happier! Keep up the good work and the awesome food!!

Diane S writes:
May 7th, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Russells has the best pastries, no more traveling out of town .The eclairs are excellent

pam writes:
May 18th, 2009 at 3:17 pm

while recently returning from a trip on the yankee trails bus, a couple started talking about how great the food was at this deli in the little village of ballston spa. i asked the name of the deli and the answer was russell,s. the couple began raving about how good the food was and i had to add to it by totally agreeing. it amazed me that people from other area,s further away had ate and loved our small town deli.

Shaun writes:
May 27th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Was in town for a week on business and happened on this place by pure chance, and thank God for that! This place was awesome, and I particularly enjoyed the Filet Mignon Sandwich. The cannoli was the only pastry that I tried, but it was good, and the others looked great as well. If I’m ever back up there again I’ll be sure to visit.

Donna writes:
June 8th, 2009 at 5:49 pm

The eggplant panini is out of this world. The best flavor – and always nice and hot. The staff at the deli are friendly and courteous. A nice neighborhood business that locals should frequent and support.

Adrian writes:
July 2nd, 2009 at 9:04 am

Russell & Co. catered our recent Graduation Party for our daughter.

She wanted to serve a variety of pastas to our guests. We had ziti with meatballs, sausage and marinara sauce. We had bow-ties with chicken, broccoli and pesto sauce. We had fettucini with alfredo sauce.

Nearly all of our 125 guests commented on how good the food was!

In a word it was FABULOUS!

Ray Gagnon writes:
July 17th, 2009 at 9:56 am

It’s a small world!!! So there I was visiting the “Taste of Malta” event the other night with my son and I stumbled across a name (and a logo) that I recognized, Russell’s Deli! But I had never been to 303 Milton Ave in Ballston Spa? I told my son, “that looks just like the deli logo and name of my favorite place to eat when I was working out of the city” it can’t be the same business? Well I cannot tell you how pleased I am that this great deli and great food has found it’s way to my back yard and yes, it is the same great Russell & Russell’s food!

I am a retired U.S. Marine and I used to work out of Long Island and NYC, whenever I visited the Recruiting office in Westchester county, my Marines would always take me to this great, (and I mean great!) deli where you could get the best tasting food anywhere in the NYC area! Yes, Russell’s was an overwhelming favorite down there in that neck of the woods as well! So if you want a “real” taste of what a “real” authentic NYC menu and a “real” dinning treat is all about, without the trip to the Big Apple – visit Russell and his crew over in Ballston Spa – I’m taking my wife there today!!

I have eaten at Russell’s over a hundred times when I was in the city and it was worth every trip. The menu is always fresh, bold, and inviting! It never gets old and the folks are the greatest – it is a pleasure to frequent a place that still values it’s customers and builds it’s reputation on great food and solid service. You will not be disappointed and I look forward to another hundred meals at Russell’s.

Thank you so much Russell for bringing your great food, awesome service, and wonderful eating experience to this area, get the word out – because they’re going to love up here too. There is no other place like yours throughout the area, welcome my friend – see you soon! What’s for lunch today??

Ray Gagnon
Ballston Lake, NY

chuck herald writes:
February 2nd, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Well, let me tell you something about the owners of this new deli in Ballston Spa. It is the best thing since sliced bread, by the way that is only one of the greatest things that they have in this little quaint perfect deli. When I first stopped in there and saw the Cannoli’s from NYC, I was hooked. I am very pleased to say that the more I went there the better I was liking all the food that they prepare and now my whole family and friends are all hooked. It went from “hey, its my cannoli man” to “morning chuck, you eating here? Do you want the usual?” and even, “kids got a hockey game saturday and sunday – here are the times so you can come out to watch”. Where else can you go for food cooked from a real professional and a friend? Not at the arches only at Russell’s Deli
Great Job Guys………… Where else can you fill your belly but at RUSSELL’S DELI!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Rapant writes:
July 13th, 2010 at 2:45 pm

and I thought a slice of heaven was only a quote from a famous movie, its reality here baby!!! Everything is great, and if you want it your way it is.

Vince writes:
June 4th, 2011 at 11:24 am

Russell’s is great. I have been in the Saratoga region for about a year now, and I am sorry I hadn’t discovered Russ’s sooner! It is the only sandwich shop that I have been to up here that makes me feel like I am back home in Philly. Personal, fast, great food.

Rigo writes:
September 3rd, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Russell makes the best Rubens, they go by the name”Trembley”. The sandwich is named after a NAVY instructor at NPTU Ballston Spa. I know it might not have made the menu yet but trust me it really should.

Mary writes:
September 20th, 2011 at 11:13 am

It’s a great feeling rooting for a winning team – NYY – year after year

Davis Clevenger writes:
March 20th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

My wife just ate the BBQ pulled pork sandwich for her first time and after the first bite she let me know it was the BEST BBQ pulled pork she has had in her life!

Kyle writes:
February 22nd, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Well I can see there haven’t been very many comments here in a long time but trust that they’re still relevant! Delicious food and awesome service. Don’t hesitate, it’s amazing.